BASED LIVINGSTON £40-60,000 DOE PLUS BENEFITS
Based in Livingston, ESS Recruit’s client is an exciting and expanding optical components company. Using its proprietary direct write laser technology, it delivers unique 3D optical waveguide solutions to a range of global multinationals in telecoms, data centre and optical switching. Their technology is first to market, novel and disruptive. The business has ambitious expansion plans and needs to recruit an Automation Engineer.
Reporting into the Technical Director, the Automation Engineer will help drive innovation and engineering excellence in the area of industrialisation and automation of systems relating to the development of ultrafast laser inscription technology. You will play a key role in the design and development of proprietary ultrafast laser inscription tools which enable state of the art 3D micromachining and optical waveguiding chips and components. Key responsibilities will include:
- Work to develop proprietary laser machining tools to scale and improve volume production capacity and capabilities.
- Proactively encourage means for cost reduction and lean manufacturing principles through design “right first time” principles (DFM, FMEA).
- Ensure appropriate tools, techniques and methodologies are being applied, developed and continuously reviewed
- Working with production staff, engineers and technicians to provide support to manufacturing.
- Develop current and new systems which include a high degree of automation through integration of hardware, such as precision motion systems, and optoelectronics, with proprietary control software.
- Scaling of manufacturing systems to increase volume manufacture capability and add new functionality.
- Development areas include all aspects of mechanical and opto-mechanical design including thermal and vibration modelling.
The relevant candidate is educated to degree calibre in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical or Electronic Engineering, Mechatronics or Manufacturing Systems. Candidates will be highly experienced in developing and designing automated electro-optical or mechanical high tech equipment. This role will suit candidates used to leading automation projects in high volume electronics, semiconductors, optoelectronic or nanotechnology. Candidates will be highly proficient working with CAD software tools such as SolidWorks, SolidEdge, Inventor or similar, capable of thermal or stress modelling with relevant software tools and the ability to plan and execute engineering projects in line with business priorities.
We would be especially keen to hear from candidates with a practical knowledge of optoelectronic or microelectronic parts or packaging design, experience of a high volume manufacturing environment, experience of 3D printing of various materials and a knowledge of properties of glass as a working material.
Our client is growing steadily and has a number of existing long-term client engagements in place. The successful candidate will benefit from an excellent salary (£40-60,000 DOE) and package, bonus, healthcare, pension and share options. The chance to work in an exciting optical components business changing the market, makes this too good an opportunity to miss.
To apply please send your resume to our retained recruitment partner Bruce Hydes at ESS Recruit.