BASED LIVINGSTON SALARY EXCELLENT AND NEGOTIABLE PLUS BENEFITS
Based in Livingston, ESS Recruit’s client is an exciting and expanding optical components company. Using its proprietary direct write laser technology, it delivers unique 3D optical waveguide solutions to a range of global multinationals in telecoms, data centre and optical switching. Their technology is first to market, novel and disruptive. The business has ambitious expansion plans and needs to recruit a Mechanical Engineer.
Reporting into the Design and Development Manager, the Mechanical Engineer will drive innovation and engineering excellence in the area of mechanical design of laser micro-machined optical components and provide support for equipment, tool and fixture design and development, relating to the development of ultra fast laser inscription technology. Key responsibilities include:
- Working in design and development with responsibility for assessing and converting customer requirements into a mechanical design for 3D micromachining.
- Designing mechanical tools, jigs and fixtures required for the testing of opto-mechanical glass assemblies.
- Management of drawing office (drawing and part numbering control).
- Participate actively in the development of ultra fast laser inscription tool including all aspects of mechanical design (including thermal and vibration modelling).
- Proactively encourage means for cost reduction and lean manufacturing principles through design “right first time” principles (DFM, FMEA).
- Ensure appropriate tools, techniques and methodologies are being applied, developed and continuously reviewed.
- Working with production staff, engineers and technicians to provide support to manufacturing.
The relevant candidate is educated to degree calibre in Mechanical Engineering or Product Design. This role will suit candidates used to the design of micromachined component parts, products or housing going into/onto electronic printed circuit boards or towards packaged semiconductor or optoelectronic devices. Candidates will be highly proficient working with CAD software tools such as SolidWorks, SolidEdge, Inventor or similar, capable of thermal or stress modelling with relevant software tools and the ability to plan and execute engineering projects in line with business priorities.
We would be especially keen to hear from candidates with a practical knowledge of optoelectronic or microelectronic parts or packaging design, experience of a high volume manufacturing environment, experience of 3D printing of various materials and a knowledge of properties of glass as a working material.
Our client is growing steadily and has a number of existing long-term client engagements in place. The successful candidate will benefit from an excellent salary DOE and package, bonus, healthcare, pension and ultimately share options. The chance to work in an exciting optical components business changing the market, makes this too good an opportunity to miss.
To apply please send your resume to our retained recruitment partner Bruce Hydes at ESS Recruit.