TEST DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER (ELECTRONICS / SEMICON / OPTOELECTRONICS)
Based in Livingston, ESS Recruit’s client is an exciting and expanding optical components company. Using its proprietary direct write laser technology, it delivers unique 3D optical waveguide solutions to a range of global multinationals in telecoms, data centre and optical switching. Their technology is first to market, novel and disruptive. The business has ambitious expansion plans and needs to recruit a Test Development Engineer.
Working as part of a team of highly skilled and motivated technicians and engineers, the role is to drive innovation and engineering excellence in the optical test area and test development relating to the testing of ultrafast laser inscribed components. These optical devices are used in telecom and datacom applications and as such require automated alignment of fibre optic assemblies to submicron tolerances and testing of optical performance criteria such as insertion loss and crosstalk. Test solutions are also required for testing of precision micro-machines parts requiring mechanical testing using a variety of methods to ensure mechanical compliance of fabricated parts.
The main tasks are to develop the test hardware and software solutions in the manufacturing area with particular attention being paid to the ongoing improvement required in an environment where production needs are growing. The role requires working with both the Design and Development teams to seek new solutions for new technologies as well as direct support for the production team.
In addition, the role will include reliability engineering and analysis of all aspects of the product to ensure compliance with industry standards.
Key responsibilities include:
- Specify, design and validate new optical and mechanical test hardware and software working with Design and Development engineering functions.
- Ensure customer test requirements are understood and have been met before final product release.
- Characterise product performance by specifying and carrying out Device Verification Testing (DVT)
- Working directly with production staff, engineers and technicians and provide support to design engineering when required.
- Support package design and qualification (including FVA attach processes).
- Proactively encourage means for cost reduction and lean manufacturing principles through design “right first time” principles (DFM, FMEA).
- Ensure appropriate tools, techniques and methodologies are being applied, developed, and continuously reviewed.
The relevant candidate is educated to degree calibre in Mechanical / Electrical Engineering or Physics and should possess relevant optical test experience covering both hardware and software.
We would be especially keen to hear from candidates with a practical knowledge of optical fibre handling, termination, assembly, and packaging.
Our client is growing steadily and has several existing long-term client engagements in place. The successful candidate will benefit from an excellent salary and package, bonus, healthcare and pension. The chance to work in an exciting optical components business changing the market, makes this too good an opportunity to miss.
To apply please send your resume to our recruitment partner Craig Jackson at ESS Recruit.